Monday, November 29, 2010

How much is that doggie in the window?

      I have soo much I would like to share with the world on this blog! I have Thanksgiving to talk about, as well as some wise words from a good friend....all of these WILL make it in here. I will add pictures and details galore! However, right now I am wiped, and if I went into the detail these events deserved I would be up way too late for my 7am alarm clock!
     Well, I've been traveling back and forth from Long Island! I have off Sunday and Monday from work. Instead of sitting in my bed catching up on sleep I've gone to Lawwng Guy-Land and back to see my parents. Ya see, I missed them this Turkey Day. Alas, work prevented me from celebrating with them. I know, I know, before you get too weepy, I can honestly assure you it wasn't as dreadful as I expected the holiday to turn out! Although, I did miss the crazed fam.
Anyway, I just want to say that although it was nuts and only semi-relaxed, I was able to do something I've wanted to do EVERY TIME I come home via Ronkonkoma train station: play with puppies. There is a Puppy store right across the street from the parking lot. My train wasn't getting there for another 2 hours, so I jumped at my chance. I cautiously walked into the store, hoping they weren't about to close. At once I was greeted by shrieking barks of all breeds! There were so many colored, fluffy minuscule canines! I was in doggie heaven! 
My own dog died my senior year in high school, unexpectedly. Since then, we've been without a Fido of our very own. I've become dog deprived. 
So I spent at least an hour with this little gal!
She was the most subdued little pup I've ever seen. A little rag doll! I could pick her up and then place her back down on the couch (in the playpen) and she wouldn't use her legs to support her...at all! She would just flop in place. She loved to curl on my lap, or spread her paws up to my shoulder where she would just snuggle her nose into my coat and fall asleep. I found out she's an American Bulldog and Old English Bull Dog mix. She looked just like Chance from the movie Homeward Bound, except she was calm.I tell ya, it was magical. 
The dreaded moment came when the owner of the store asked, "So what's your story?" I fumbled with my words saying, "She's beautiful. So cute. Really sweet." In my head I was thinking, yes I'm just playing with her, and have no intention of buying her. You know this. I know this. Just let me play with her in peace.
I asked out of curiosity how much she was selling for. $1,125.
First of all, a dog as cute and sweet as this doesn't deserve to live in the city with an owner who is hardly ever around. She deserves a big yard, fresh air, and people to play with her all the time!
Second of all, I can't buy a living, breathing animal that will cost more than my month's rent and continue to cost a bunch of money.
I named her Penny and put her back in her cage after a worker named Alex came to retrieve her. 
Goodbye Penny. I hope you have a great home where the people love you.

I have discovered something about myself. In the end I don't need a man or a family. All I need is a dog to call my very own and I will be content. I hope my parents weren't expecting me to provide the grandchildren. That torch will have to be passed to the bro.

Ah HA! I have located Homeward Bound in sections on youtube. So if you'll excuse me, I have some reminiscing to attend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment