Saturday, November 20, 2010

Don't let Them See You Smile.

     As I sit here, eating my Honey Bunches of Oats with my Silk soy product, I look out my window at all the bundled patrons crossing the street. Last night I actually had to shut one of my windows. So maybe it is getting to be fall, and even winter, after all.
     I called my Gramps just now to wish him a Happy 80th birthday! He wasn't home, so I tried to leave as loving a message as I could. I was even contemplating singing that infamous birthday ditty, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I always feel so strange singing for family, even though they are the ones who appreciate my voice the most.  What makes it even more awkward is singing through the phone, so I hoped my sincere best wishes left a strong enough impact minus the song.
     Well, as much as I love my grandpa and breakfast, that's not the real reason for this blog. I've been wanting to talk about the city life and this unspoken law that consumes the people who live here. Now, I find myself to be a rather open, fun-loving person. With that being said, it seems I have to mask that person at times, which can make me feel uncomfortable. Now, everyone is multi-faceted. We wouldn't be human if we were solely labeled as always being "happy," or "sad." Our toolbox of emotions is forever open as we drive through our journey of life, trying our darnd-est to avoid the pot-holes.
     So I'm not always open and giggly and trusting, but that's the person I strive to be. However, that person has to take a back seat when I ride the subway. On the subway, it is a way of life one soon adapts. On the platform, there may be some discussion about what stops this upcoming train will make, but that's pretty much where the discussion ceases. You stand and wait either with your headphones in, your book in hand, or your eyes solely focused on the direction those two high beams will come rattling towards you. You don't sit next to someone at one of the limited brown benches and smile at them. No. You don't look at them. Or if you do, it's very subtle, using your peripherals. And on the subway, it's even more intense. If you are riding with a friend, then there is conversation. Otherwise, if you are taking the subway solo, you under no means can talk to someone.
    I once told my fellow-city friend, Michele McNally, who has quite a comical disposition, how I was talking with this man on the subway late at night. He was from Columbia and he was lost. I helped him find the right train and our discussion continued after he saw me reading a play. He was an actor in his country and so we had a lot of things to talk about. Once my friend heard this, she immediately told me to NEVER talk to anyone on the subway ever again. I laughed it off, thinking she was kidding, but then she repeated her statement, with a more serious tone and eyes slightly bulging. I tried to explain, but it didn't matter. "Even if you don't have an i-phone put your headphones in and pretend you are listening to something." Then I felt stupid. I was obviously seen as a naive young girl, unable to adapt to the strict survival city laws. (This probably isn't the best time for a friendly plug, but here is her website! She's off to great things! http://www.actorwithabusinesscard.com/ )
    My dad finds me to be a sucker too. And maybe I am. Perhaps that's a compliment, stating that I am a kind soul who can find love in my heart and give respect to others. However, I think it's leaned more toward an insult, in that I cannot handle the harsh dealings the city can dish out; that I am not equipped enough to manage my own in this rough and tough neighborhood of mine. That I am too sensitive; a wimp. My dad admitted to me that he feared I would easily be taken advantage of here. He was afraid I would be too trusting. He was and still is concerned that it will be my downfall.
    So now on the subway I ignore the people who ask for help. I don't fish into my pocket as I hear another sob-story of how embarrassed they are to beg for money. I continue to keep my eyes on my page as I hear two Mexican men sing in perfect harmony from their accordion and guitar. I stare at the poster across from me as I hear a Vietnam Veteran physically sob as he screams to all of us, "What did I do?"  I feel like I have to prove to my dad, my friends, and myself that I am not too soft-hearted. I can be just like everyone else on the subway. I can stare at inanimate objects, close my eyes and listen to my music or be engrossed in my book. God-forbid I should be pursuing acting and want to interact with people.
    But I understand. I really do. I get it that you cannot trust anyone here because so many people are off their rocker, or homeless, or poor, or angry. You just can't extend a helping hand as easily as you would before, back home, because you have to look after yourself first. I really do understand the city way of life, but just because I understand it doesn't mean I like it. It doesn't mean it makes me feel comfortable. The smiling Kristen inside of me only comes out at work, or with my friends. I save those smiles for them. On the street or riding the train, however, I'm on a mission, my face in a straight line and my eyes focusing ahead. I keep wary of my surroundings, but I'm in no way inviting. I'm trying to survive here, and in order to do that, I have to choose when my true self can emerge and when it has to burrow back within and wait.

2 comments:

  1. :( it makes me feel so bad that this is how it is. i totally understand how difficult it is every single day. even after like 10 years of being on the train, it's still really difficult for me to ignore those people who are asking for money. sometimes now if people are asking for money for food, i'll give them whatever food i have.
    along with that, i've also been really trying to deal with street harassment and harassment in the subway. it's unbelievable how disgusting some people can be. for example, i had a holiday meeting at work last weekend. it was 6am on a sunday at 59st. long story short, the guy across the platform was looking at me, jacking off. at 6AM. it infuriates me how people think they can do whatever they want and sayy whatever they want to other people, namely women they dont even know.
    so me personally, now i've been speaking up and being loud when i see something wrong happening. when guys are saying disgusting things to me and other people, i've been speaking up and i think its something everyone NEEDS to do.
    whoaa okay wahoo rant!
    but yeah, even in new paltz october 24th-ish, i had to call 911 for a poor girl who got punched in the face by her boyfriend. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. people need to treat others with respect.

    sorryyy i got on a roll. lol but i do think youre a strong person and you will speak up for yourself! it's just very hard to look away from homeless/begging people.
    <3panki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanki Panki! Thank you for the post and for your strong words of encouragement! I'm so so SO proud of you for speaking up! Those instances sound horrible and I'm sorry you had to endure them!
    And of course you are right, it is so hard to turn from begging people. I always want to give money deep down inside, but you never know if they are going to use that money for actual food for if they are going to inject it into their arms. It's sad, but true. One time, when I was looking at apartments, I gave this man 20 dollars. He needed special lactose free milk for his infant son, because his wife couldn't breast feed her. So we went into Rite Aid, couldn't find it, and then my friend and I just gave him 20 bucks each. I told my dad this after and he was livid! Even though he sounded legit, and I felt in my heart he needed this money for the child to survive, my dad wouldn't hear it, saying I was scammed. And it just makes me question if I am indeed a strong person or if I was truly conned. And no one likes to think they've been duped.
    So, it's things like that. I've given some leftovers from work to a homeless woman a couple times, but I don't want to give them to her all the time, because what if she expects it to be regular occurrence? My parents weren't too happy about that either. I know they just want me to be safe and not be taken advantage of, but no one likes to see people suffer.

    Anyway, that was MY rant! :p
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete