Monday, December 27, 2010

As Long as You Love Me So, Let is Snow...

     It is December 27th...soon to be December 28th....and I have yet to go home and celebrate Christmas with my family. First, work has prevented me from getting home, and now the effects of this blizzard. Normally I would be in that, "Let it snow," state, where I'd be enjoying the flakes while sitting around a toasty fire with my family, having an extra-chocolately helping of hot cocoa. However, the-since-we-have-no-place-to-go line couldn't be farther from the truth. I do have somewhere to go, or did...
It's been quite frustrating staying home in the apartment, when I had other plans that needed to be fulfilled! But I read, exercised, and watched a movie.


    I mentioned in my last blog that I have been watching a lot of movies lately. They have all pertained to Christmas and the Christmas spirit! And just now I saw Hook, that interestingly enough took place right around Christmas time. It is a truly marvelous tale that had my heart pounding with childlike anticipation. I remember liking the movie for its cleverness and fantastical storyline, but I couldn't remember the details, which is ironically similar to Peter Pan forgetting his childhood and all of Never Never Land. However, like Pan, I soon remembered, as I watched Robin Williams find his happy thought, which was being a father and having a family. Immediately after discovering this thought, he regained his flying capabilities, defeated the infamous Captain James Hook, and returned home to the ones he loved. 


     Unfortunately, after finishing this feel-good movie, I found out some horrible news. A girl whom I went to college with has past away. Her name was Noelle Lucivero. I couldn't claim to have known her very well, but regardless, having known someone at all who died at such a young age, is always a land-quaking experience. We were in Dance and Movement class together, and I remember her always being late or not showing to class. But she shouldn't be remembered for that. Dance was obviously her passion; she was even a dance teacher. During school, I remember her participating in Fresh Dance and represented the Dance Team. She seemed to wear leg warmers, all year round, which actually suited her nicely. I remember her in one Freshdance number where they had to do many high kicks and splits. She was the smallest girl (height wise) and the last one in their Rockette-like line. She apparently sprained her ankle during the number, but nonetheless, did the final split when her turn waved in. She was a trooper, to say the least. That was FreshDance 07, my sophomore year of college. As I recall, it was also termed, "The Freshdance from Hell," due to countless people getting hurt or sick during the performance! 


     Apparently, Noelle was hit by a car. I know this due to Facebook. On facebook everyone is writing on her wall, stating what a beautifully talented, kind person she was, and how she will be sorely missed. These statements are addressed to her, as if she'll ever be able to log on and read them. They are all heart-felt and written with sincerity, but perhaps it's more of a cathartic ritual, to type out one's thoughts than to say them to oneself or in personal prayers. I suppose they feel like they are really talking to her, and one day she will be able to read these sentiments. I'm unsure, but I guess I'm writing my own rest in peace statement via blog rather than social network. Perhaps, then, it is not much different.


     We think we're so young; so immortal! But this could happen to any of us, at any time. I'm not saying to live a life of fear, but do live a life worth living. Live a life that makes you happy, because our days are numbered, if we realize it or not. Despite materialistic gifts, high marks, and financial success, those are not the events we will remember when looking back on our happiest, most cherished moments of our lives.


     I am lucky to even be alive, especially with caring friends and family. And although I wasn't able to see them as early as I would have liked, at least I will be able to actually spend time with them, AT ALL. Tomorrow, in fact, if this wind finally ceases. 


     Sometimes, I feel we don't get what we want in order to make us realize what really matters in our lives. Maybe, I needed this storm, to truly appreciate how much I love my family and how much I desperately wanted to get home to see them. I am guilty of taking their love and kindness for granted. It's not intentional, of course, but it definitely does happen. I have a terrible tendency of getting swept up in the little problems, that truly are exactly that: little.  And similar to when I saw the Rockefeller Christmas tree, to now, after seeing Hook, I remember how amazing it is to have a family that loves me and supports me; who will wait 3 whole freakin' days to celebrate the best time of the year with me. Perhaps, it is a necessity to have occasions like these, in order to snap us back into the here and now, and remember the reasons why we live this life in the first place. Because without hope, without love, without friends and without family, life wouldn't really be much of a life at all, now would it?


Happy holidays everyone. Take in the New Year with open arms, and remember how you can make this world not only a better place for yourself, but for others as well. 


As Peter Pan says, "To live would be an awfully big adventure."


x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment